Ahh, France. Just the mention evokes thoughts of the beauty of Paris, the charm of Provence and the sunshine of the Cote d’azur. I have fond memories of the towns I’ve visited, its sights and its people. Here’s why I find it the idyllic place to live, and why you should too.
1. The Food: The French have a passion for food that shows. They appreciate the art of cooking and presentation and value quality meals. And you have to love everything that’s sold at local patisseries and boulangeries. Beyond that, do cheese, bread, crepes and wine really need an explanation?
2. The Culture: There’s the art, architecture and the elegant language. There’s also something to be said about the often forgotten ways of proper manners and dressing well.
3. The Laid Back Lifestyle: Enjoying long, leisurely meals and seeing shops closed on Sundays are common. It’s the opposite of the hectic on-the-go days that are the norm in the US. Don’t forget about the 35 hour work week and generous vacation time.
4. The Scenery: Of course the architecture and monuments of Paris are a sight to see, but there’s much more. France really has it all – picturesque Mediterranean coastline, lavender and sunflower fields in Provence, châteaux in the Loire Valley and adorable villages in Alsace.
5. The Weather: Sure, maybe the weather’s not always so great in the north. However, the South of France boasts about 300 days of sunshine a year, and it’s always an easy train or plane ride away.